Sunday 5 June 2011

How do I actually change website info using FTP?

I need to update the website for our musical theatre company and nobaody seems to be able to tell me anything other than I need to use FTP. So I got connected, got my domain site, user name and password, but I can%26#039;t figure out how to actually go in, edit info (like shows and times) and then upload them to the site and no one can help me. I have the software and access to the site because I can see previous info and pics that have been entered before, but when I try to edit I get a bunch of encrypted text in Notepad.





Help!





(needs lots of details)|||Once you get connected via FTP, you%26#039;ll need to initially pull down the original site files and edit them on your computer locally.





Once you have edited the files, you%26#039;ll need to upload all the changed files back onto the website.





You mentioned that trying to edit the files you get a bunch of encrypted text in Notepad. I have a feeling that %26quot;encrypted text%26quot; you show is the HTML code. Unless you have a website designing application like Dreamweaver or Frontpage, you are going to be stuck editing the site using the HTML code. There are several options for WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors such as Dreamweaver, but most of them are pretty darn expensive. It is possible that the hosting company does have a WYSIWYG tool free to use for their customers.





If you are not comfortable editing the HTML code, that kind of answer is WAY beyond the scope of Yahoo Answers - there is no space to teach website developing. Your best bet in this case is to invest in either a contractor, take some time to learn some basic HTML, or purchase a WYSIWYG editor.





Good luck!|||I started learning html using www.htmlgoodies.com.

Report Abuse


|||I think so,u have ur webspace under just viewing Code like HTML..





if u want to update every day or when u want to Change the Show date ...


u must use Script language...





if u want more information u asked to me as Detail...