Saturday 24 September 2011

How do I use FTP Explorer to change website text?!?

I downloaded ftp explorer for some kind of 30 day trial in order to gain access into a friend's website so I can alter a few things on the pages text-wise. I have a user name and all that so I'm not anonymous. Do i need filezilla or something (whatever that is)? I currently have all the files downloaded from the site, a few of them are in folder format and the ones I want to change are in internet explorer and html format. I tried to alter if by using Microsoft word but it just screwed it up. So basically how do I change the text on these pages?!?!How do I use FTP Explorer to change website text?!?1) There's no such thing as a file being in %26quot;folder format%26quot; or %26quot;internet explorer format%26quot;. Files have types. If they're html files, just make the changes (use Notepad) and upload them back to the site. Microsoft Word is a word processor, not a text editor (web files are text files). If you save a file in Word as %26quot;html%26quot;, it's not the html that a webserver wants, it's the html that Microsoft wants the world to use - and the world refuses to go along with Microsoft).



2) You can use Filezilla - it's free. You don't need a 30 day trial of some inferior FTP program.